School District 68 is looking for substitute teachers to work in our schools with children in Early Childhood through 8th-grade. We believe substitute teachers play a key role in continuing educational programs in the absence of the classroom teachers. They have the responsibility to provide a safe and appropriate learning environment, along with continuing the academic program.
Interested applicants who already hold either a Professional Educator's License or a Substitute Teaching License can start the application process by clicking on the following LINK, and click the red "Apply" button on the right to get started.
**Applicants who meet our requirements will be contaced for a screening interview.
Don't have a substitute teaching license but want to apply for one?
- If you hold a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education you are eligible to apply for one!
- In order to obtain a substitute license (that is valid for five years) go to the Illinois State Board of Education website using this LINK. Once there, choose "Sign Up Now" on the left side of the screen. Once you have logged into your newly created account you will see a link that says, “Apply for Illinois License, Endorsement, or Approval”. Click on that link and follow the directions for applying for a substitute license.
- There is an application fee, and the state will also assess a small fee for the credit card transaction. Please note you will choose "Region 05 – North Cook" to register the certificate.
- You will need to submit official transcripts to the state of Illinois. You should have those sent to: North Cook ISC / ROE 05, c/o Shirley Bloom, licensure, 2340 Des Plaines River Road, Suite 414, Des Plaines, IL 60018. Electronically from the university is acceptable as well to: email@example.com.
Substitute teachers must be fingerprinted prior to hire. You can contact the North Cook Regional Office of Education who provides finger-print-based Criminal History Records Information (CHRI) checks through the Illinois State Police (ISP) and the FBI which is required before hiring. Proof of valid identification is required at the time of printing. You must call to schedule an appointment at their office. Appointments are scheduled most Mondays - Fridays, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. You may contact Shirley Bloom at 847-803-3704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does Skokie School District 68 pay substitute teachers?
- Full-day rate is $120
- Half-day rate is $60
- Full-day rate after working 50 assignments in one school year (does not need to be consecutive) $135
- Long-term rate is paid at the current BA/0 rate according to the Educational Association agreement.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, walk up-and-down stairs, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Did you know?
In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, ISBE is now offering a reimbursement of the application fee to qualifying applicants.
- Your Sub issuance date must be later than July 1, 2017
- You must work at least 10 full school days within one year of your issuance date
- You must apply for the reimbursement within 18 months of your issuance date
- Educators will receive a $50 refund if they have worked 10 days on the substitute teaching license and a $25 refund if they have worked 10 days on the short-term substitute teaching license
If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.
If your substitute application fee was paid prior to December 3, 2018, you will need to complete and sign a W-9 and a Direct Deposit form in addition to the form above. Please note, only an original W-9 can be accepted, not a photocopy or an electronic copy.
Questions regarding reimbursements to be directed to the Regional Office of Educatione at 847-803-3704
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.